Saturday, January 16, 2010

Feminine thingies

Cloth Sanitary Pads



Please don't freak out at the words "cloth sanitary pads." They actually aren't gross, as you can read about here. And here (in this post) I share how to make them at home, since they are rather pricey otherwise.

Supplies you need:

~ Flannel (or heavy cotton) (old shirts you no longer wear might come in handy here)
~ A towel
~ Sewing machine (unless you sew by hand)
~ Pins
~ Scissors
~ Velcro
~ The pattern
~ A pencil (optional)
~ Thread

The Pattern

Click to get full size images, and print.



Instructions


1) Choose some fabric. The lighter the fabric the more likely it is to stain. That doesn't really matter to me personally (it' not like anyone but me will see the sanitary pads) but I figure it's worth mentioning.

2) Print out the patterns and cut out the fabric.

3) What you see to the left will be the flaps of the sanitary pad. Here I've cut them out and pinned one side to get it ready for the sewing machine.








4) Here they are, with one side nicely sewn.

Note: I'm showing four in the photo, but you actually only need two to make one sanitary pad.







5) Take the big piece of fabric and put it down, with the nice side facing up. Put the two other pieces of fabric you just finished sewing the side of down on top of it. Pin them together.

Note: Here I've got another sanitary pad of mine so that I can draw exactly where I want to sew. Once you've already made one that you're happy with (or if you have some old sanitary pads of your own) you can also do this.



6) Sew along the lines you've drawn (or some imaginary lines). Then go back around the edge with a zig-zag stitch to keep it from fraying.








7) Now, add the Velcro so that the wings can hang onto each other.










8) Now you need to make the inserts. Cut out two pieces of flannel the long oval pattern.









9) Also cut out a piece of towel.










10) Put them together as shown to the left.











11) Sew!











And you're done!

Care instructions

I keep my used sanitary pads in water until I'm ready to wash them. (Not everyone does this, though.) When I wash them I just throw them in with the towels. Easy!

2 comments:

  1. You'll save a lot of money with these thingies, plus you'll save the environment at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother used cloth sanitary pads, actually, I think she still does. I use them when I go to sleep, when I'm home, or if I know I won't be active, but I need a tampon if I'm going running or camping--I think the reason is obvious. I must say that my pads are not as cool as yours, mine are more like heavy cotton folded neatly and stuff lol. Our cleaning process are almost the same, with the exception that I handwash them when I bathe and then throw them with the towels.

    Ha! I need to tell my mom that she is not old fashioned, she is just environmentally conscious!

    ReplyDelete